I guess this is the day for announcements.
Since its inception I’ve headed up the Clive Staples Award For Christian Speculative Fiction. This year the organization sponsoring the award is taking the lead (yea!)
Today begins the process of picking the best Christian speculative novel published in 2014. All the information you need to know is below, but I want to point out the first item on the timetable: Nominations will be open for only two weeks. In other words, there’s not a lot of time to make a decision or to read the book you’ve heard such good things about. The time is now, people! Now!
OK, do I sound sufficiently exercised? ;-) Hope so. We really do have a great list of nominations so far, and anyone can add books that aren’t on the list yet.
So without more blathering, here’s everything you need to know about this year’s award.
Realm Makers is excited to promote this year’s Clive Staples Award for Christian Speculative Fiction. We will announce the winner as part of the Realm Makers Awards Dinner on August 7th.
Similar to last year, the final winner will be decided by a panel of judges, so the award becomes a hybrid of “readers’ choice” and panel judging, which combines popularity and critical acclaim in the process. We’re very excited to be able to recognize the book that earns this honor, and therefore, the Faith and Fantasy Alliance is once again committing sponsoring funds to the cash prize that will go to the winner.
The nomination period is upon us and will be conducted via an online poll. If you would like to nominate a book for this award, please read the guidelines below before jumping to the poll.
Eligible books must be all of the following:
- Containing themes consistent with a Christian worldview, whether implied, symbolic, or overt.
- Published in English.
- Published between January 1 and December 31 of the current contest’s year. (For example, for the Clive Staples Award held in 2015, entrants must have been published between, Jan. 1, 2014 and Dec. 31, 2014.)
- In the science fiction/fantasy/allegory/futuristic/supernatural/supernatural suspense/horror/time travel category, or any sub-genre or mashup of these.
- Authors, agents, and publishers may not nominate books with which they are affiliated. Likewise, book authors or affiliates may not campaign for votes on behalf of their books. A conservative number of social media posts to make readers aware of the voting process is welcome. The contest committee reserves the right to disqualify any entry if it is determined a book’s affiliates have campaigned for votes.
- Readers may only nominate books they have actually read.
- Ebooks and books in hard-copy print are both eligible
- Navigate to the nomination survey
- Add between 1 and 3 books you’d like to nominate. Please include the Title, Author, and Publisher (indicate “self-published” if that is the case.)
- Submit your answers
After the nomination period is over, the award committee will tabulate the votes and declare the semi-finalists.
Readers’ Choice Semi-finalist Voting
Voters will be eligible only if they have read two or more of the books nominated. We want this to be a selection by readers of Christian speculative fiction, not just the fans of particular authors.
Below are standards to consider.
Standards for Clive Staples Award books
- Quality writing style and mechanics
- Believable and well-developed world-building
- Depth of characterization
- Well-structured, original, and interesting plot
- Deftness of integration of the worldview into the story’s plot and characterizations
Contest time line:
5-15-15: Reader nomination period begins
5-29-15: Reader nominations close
6-1-15: Semi-Finalists announced; second round of Readers Choice voting begins
6-8-15: Readers Choice voting closes
6-15-15: Finalists announced
7-7-15: Winner announced at the Realm Makers Costumed Awards Dinner, cash prize awarded
Thank you for lending your voice to help us choose the best speculative fiction out there. Spread the word that the contest is open, and good luck to all you authors.
To participate in the nomination process, record your selections (up to three) on this survey: CSA Nomination Survey.